12th Annual Horizontal Grandeur Juried Art Exhibition
Our 12th Horizontal Grandeur Annual Juried Art Exhibition will run from June 20 – October 25, 2019. Any artist residing in a U.S. state or Canadian province with a prairie can enter up to six original pieces. All genres will be considered, from painting to photography to sculpture – anything inspired by the prairie and made by you! Along with our People’s Choice Award, we also have Artist’s Choice Award, allowing the artists in the show to vote for their favorite!
Exhibit dates: June 20-October 25, 2019
Hours: 9am-4pm, Tuesday through Friday
To read the inspiration behind our annual Horizontal Grandeur exhibition, please click on the link below.
Thank you to our sponsors of this exhibit!
Thanks to all who came for our opening reception on Thursday, June 20! Refreshments were served by our High Tea Committee.
Thursday, June 20, 2019
Open to ALL artists residing in the United States or Canadian provinces with a prairie.
All 3D and 2D submissions must have a prairie related theme and be original to the artist.
Non-landscape submissions are encouraged.
Pieces deemed not original to the artist will be removed.
There is no time requirement as to when a piece was created.
Up to six pieces may be submitted per artist, and work should be exhibition ready.
Artwork submitted must not weigh more than 100 pounds or exceed 4 feet in any direction.
Email images in .jpg format (minimum 300 dpi) to: grandeur(at)stevenshistorymuseum(dot)com
The image file name should be in the format: A_titleofpiece.jpg or B_titleofpiece.jpg etc. Abbreviate as needed.
Please include your name, mailing address, and phone number in your message.
For each piece submitted, please include:
title of piece
sale price/not for sale
image file name
Image submission deadline: May 3, 2019
Selection notification: by May 17, 2019
Artwork delivery deadline: No later than 4pm on June 7, 2019
Opening reception: June 20, 2019
Exhibition dates: June 20, 2019 – October 25, 2019
Pick-up week: October 28 – November 1, 2019 9am-4pm
Shipping week: November 4-8, 2019
Any remaining pieces will become property of SCHS after November 8, 2019.
Liability & Insurance
Insurance is the responsibility of the artist and the shipper.
SCHS is not liable for any damage or loss occurring in transit or during the run of the show.
Entry Fees & Sales
– The entry fee is $7.00 for each piece to be juried, with a maximum of six entries per artist.
– Fees can be paid by sending a check/money order (preferred). Credit card payments are possible by calling the museum at 320-589-1719. We have a $15 minimum for credit card charges.
– Selected work will remain in the exhibit through the run of the show. A 30% commission will be charged on all sales.
– Your entry grants SCHS permission to photograph your work and use your images for promotional or educational purposes only. All scheduling, return shipping labels, and pick-up charges will be the responsibility of the artist.
Your entry fee of $7.00/piece can be mailed to:
Stevens County History Museum
Horizontal Grandeur Coordinator
116 West 6th Street
Morris, MN 56267
New to the process of submitting artwork?
Are you a new artist? Or new to the process of submitting work to a juried show? Here are some tips to help you navigate our Horizontal Grandeur exhibit.
1) Quality is important! Be sure that you are paying attention to the details. Make sure that when you drop off your artwork that it is exhibition ready, as well as exactly what was juried into the show. Have you visited with someone who does framing for a living to make sure your piece is enhanced by the framing? Does the frame have the hardware to hang on the wall? If your art is sculptural, does it need a stand?
2) Follow the directions. Take a look at the rules regarding submissions. Did you name your images appropriately? Are they of good quality? Images should be at least 300 dpi when you send them in for Horizontal Grandeur. You might need to do some research online or with your camera’s instruction manual to check on your camera’s capabilities.
3) Naming your images. We are asking for images to be in this format: A_titleofpiece.jpg. Here’s an example. Let’s say I have three submissions for Horizontal Grandeur which have titles of “Sunny Day,” “Rainy Day,” and “Foggy Day.”
The image for “Sunny Day” should be renamed as “A_SunnyDay.jpg”
The image for “Rainy Day” should be renamed as “B_RainyDay.jpg”
The image for “Foggy Day” should be renamed as “C_FoggyDay.jpg”
4) Pricing your work. Check out what other artists are charging for similar work. Please be sure to price your work to account for the 30% commission that will go to the Museum if your work sells. Under pricing your work will diminish the ability of other artists to sell their work, too.