Send us an email or give us a call about research that you need conducted. Our contact info is at the bottom of this page.
Staff and volunteers assist with research requests or they can do research for you. Some research activities can be done without staff assistance. For the best service, please make an appointment ahead of time. Our contact information is at the bottom of the page.
These research activities require staff assistance:
- Retrieving items from archive room, artifact room, and historic files;
- Reviewing most items in the collections (ie newspapers, photos, artifacts);
- Searching the collections database for the location of certain artifacts;
- Making copies or digital scans of materials.
These research activities can be done without staff assistance:
- Searching for names in the card catalog files;
- Selecting and reading books on the shelves in the research room;
- Reviewing select (less delicate) materials that have been retrieved from the collections by staff.
These research activities can be done off-site for free through our website:
- Accessing the 1940 US Census on FamilySearch.org;
- Searching the Stevens County cemetery records;
- Searching the Stevens County newspaper index;
- Outside resources listed below.
- familysearch.org (1910, 1920, 1930 census records)
- ancestry.com (genealogy records)
- One Step Search (by Steve Morse; has advanced search forms for many genealogically significant databases)
- To search Passenger Lists:
o Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild - volunteers have transcribed over 9,000 passenger lists. Search by surname, captain’s name, port of arrival or departure, ship name or browse by location. The search box is down at the bottom of the page, but there is also a video to help walk you through your search.
o Ellis Island Records has over 22 million entries between 1892 and 1924, searchable for free by ship or passenger name.
o Olive Tree Genealogy includes over 2,300 free ship passenger lists to the United States and Canada. Free records are marked with a little olive tree.
o The Ships List offers several thousand free pages of information related to immigrants, including immigration reports, newspaper accounts, shipwreck information, ship photos, some diaries, and journals.
All research is subject to additional copy fees*. Please contact us to talk about the research you need!
|Member rate||Non-member rate|
|Look up names in newspaper index||$5/name||$5/name|
|Hourly rate for research||$10/hour||$15/hour|
|Full research report (in-house)**||$35||$35|
8.5x11 copies @$0.50 each
8.5x14 copies @$0.75 each
11x17 copies @$1.00 each
Digital File Fees
There is not a separate fee for items to be digitized (ie scanned or photographed) and emailed to the customer. This cost is built into the time spent by staff.
**Full Research Report includes these resources:
Complimentary research, use of the research room, and research assistance are available for research that benefits the public or will be put to public use. Personal and for-profit research (ie family history, home/building research, some book publishing) will be charged the regular fees. Complimentary research is limited to 10 hours/project. If utilizing complimentary research services, please make an appointment. Our contact info is at the bottom of the page. Complimentary research, use of research room and research assistance is given for the following and their representatives when doing research that benefits the public or will be put to public use:
*Examples of civic organizations – homemakers groups, 4-H, VFW, American Legion, scouting groups, Eagles Club, Women of Today, Kiwanis, etc.